But if you're a Member, please bring a friend, family member, or colleague who you think would like to join us in our fight to decriminalize nonviolent misdemeanors in Orlando! We've come a long way - let's keep it up!
Know Your Rights Series Workshop #5:
About the Workshop:
- The Voting Rights Act (VRA) is a historic and hard-won victory of the Civil Rights Movement that protects the voices of all Americans at the ballot box. But today, in states across the country, some Americans are the victims of racial discrimination and are struggling to exercise their right to vote after the Supreme Court gutted key pieces of the Voting Rights Act in 2013. Since this decision, several states have passed laws that have eliminated early voting, changed registration requirements, and closed polling locations in low income communities that prevent citizens from exercising their lawful right to vote. Food and drinks will be provided!
Topics will include, but are not limited to:
- registration - what it takes to get registered how to do it
- attacks on voting rights - legislation and trends
- impact of voting rights on various communities - how do law and policy changes impact various communities
- voter education - how can voters learn more and educate themselves on the process, changes, information sources
- Each KYRS workshop is FREE and open to the public!
- FOOD AND DRINKS WILL BE SERVED at every workshop!
ALL AGES welcome!
- If you are a parent, we welcome you to bring your child(ren) to any workshop!
- We ask that children are supervised at all times for their safety in this public space.
- We fully respect the patience and practice that it takes to be a parent. We understand there are times when children may require a little more attention than usual and, so if this situation arises, we ask that you please take the time to provide that service to your child so that all workshop attendees have the opportunity to remain focused on the content of the workshop. Thank you!
- The workshop room at this library location can hold up to 80 people only.
- Due to the size of this space, PLEASE be sure to RSVP EARLY and don't forget to include any guests you would like to bring as well!
- For questions, please see "Contact" details.
For more information on the Know Your Rights Series and other workshops, please visit: Know Your Rights Series: Fall 2015